Saturday 9 April 2011

Tidbit

So far in this module I have volunteered with several different organizations and initiatives, each of which can be considered to have an environmental or ‘green’ ethos. Firstly, I spent some time WWOOFing with the Steward’s Wood community, which is a self-sustaining, permaculture community situated on Dartmoor in Devon. I found this to be a very rewarding experience, as it enabled me to assist the community members in doing things to live more sustainably, as well as to experience first-hand some of the everyday challenges that such communities are faced with. During my three days with the community, the activities I was involved with included: tree-felling (in order to provide firewood for the winter); chopping, gathering and transporting timber; clearing a pathway blocked by a felled tree; and clearing an area intended for planting fruit trees of bracken, nettles and unwanted sycamores.
   I have also become involved with Transition Bath, an organization that promotes active, community-led responses to environmental problems. I have attended and participated in a number of ‘Action Group’ meetings, and through this I have gained an understanding of the workings of such a community group, as well as finding a volunteer role in helping to prepare for and put on the Transition Talks events at the university. So far this has consisted of putting together a list of useful contacts at the university and fliering at different locations on campus, although I am hoping to become more involved in helping to run the events.

No comments:

Post a Comment